I have tried so many bulletproof coffee recipes but this one is fantastic! It was a complete surprise to me that I actually liked it 😂.
I am a black coffee drinker and the idea of butter and egg in a coffee did not exactly sound like something I would enjoy at all.
So where did a bulletproof coffee originate?
While I think the true origins of butter coffee began a very long time ago in Asia somewhere, the bulletproof coffee is said to be created by David Asprey.
Thanks to the fats in the oil and butter, he says the beverage invigorates the mind and eradicates mental fog.
Ingredients for Bulletproof Coffee
Coffee – Use the coffee you enjoy the most. I love great fresh espresso coffee from my Jura coffee machine every day. You can use instant coffee in bulletproof coffee if that is what you prefer.
Egg – I use room temperature eggs so it doesn’t taste eggy. You can leave out the egg for a bulletproof coffee vegan option.
Butter – I do use salted butter but you can use unsalted butter. Coconut oil or MCT oil can also be used for dairy free bulletproof coffee as well. MCT oil in coffee is not only a great vegan coffee option but it also keeps the flavour more neutral as well.
MCT Powder with a hint of vanilla from Locako is super amazing too!
See how easy bullet proof coffee is to make
Alrighty well, this ketosis bulletproof coffee recipe is far from hard to make. It is very simply a case add all the ingredients and blend until smooth and creamy.
I have included how to make bulletproof coffee in the Thermomix as well, for all our thermi fans.
While not in the recipe below, Bulletproof coffee can have extra spices added in such as star anise, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin spice or allspice.
HOT TIP FOR MIXING: If you do not have a blender or Thermomix simply use a whisk and mix in a bowl. Alternatively pour all the ingredients into a jar (best to have softened butter) and shake vigorously until smooth.
Tips for the BEST Bulletproof Coffee
- Use your favourite coffee. I love a good strong espresso coffee.
- MCT Vanilla Powder is amazing in the bulletproof coffee. It adds a beautiful creaminess to the coffee.
- I use salted butter. Salt and coffee together are a match made in heaven.
- Add the egg if you want. It also adds extra fat and protein as well as making keto coffee super creamy. I add the egg particularly when following an egg fast meal plan.
- Mix all the ingredients in a blender or Thermomix until creamy.
- Bulletproof coffee can be consumed hot, cold or frozen. I like to pour some into an ice cube tray and freeze it. You can then use the ice cubes in a tasty summer keto iced coffee or keto coffee cocktail.
Frequently Asked Questions
There is also a lot of questions surrounding bulletproof coffee, autophagy and breaking intermittent fasting. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions.
At around 300 calories per serving bulletproof coffee can indeed break a fast and is not recommended while fasting. Drink regular black coffee during fasting.
Yes, in all likelihood it will.
It can help with weight loss. This would of course depend on the lifestyle you are following and how many carbs or calories are consumed on a daily basis.
Autophagy is the body’s way of cleaning out damaged cells, in order to regenerate newer, healthier cells. It involves using fat stores and energy from the body. The more fats you consume the body is likely to use first first before using what is already there. MCT oil has been shown to not break autophagy in small doses. I think this is something you may need to test for yourself to see what your body limits are.
More Recipes to Try
Love keto coffee drinks or Keto Smoothies? Here are just a few of my favourite keto drink recipes and some desserts that use coffee in the best way.
- Keto Dalgona Coffee – delicious whipped coffee from Korea.
- Coffee Fat Bombs – Sugar free coffee flavoured keto fat bombs.
- Coffee Jellies – keto coffee jellies are incredible. One of my faves.
- Keto French Silk Pie – this chocolate coffee pie is something else. A must try!
- Keto Chocolate Pudding – easy chocolate pudding that you can spike with a shot of coffee.
Bulletproof Coffee Recipe – Fully Loaded
- sweetener of choice see notes
Place all ingredients into a blender and mix 1 minute until. smooth and creamy. Serve immediately.
Place all ingredients into mixer, mix 1 min/ 37°C/speed 5. Serve immediately.
Sweetener – any sweeteners can be used or use none.
Eggs is completely optional.
Personally I prefer the powdered MCT as it adds a delicious creaminess to the coffee.